MATRIX 2

Energy 

6 Knowledge Questions

A System uses Energy to Work

“Imbalance leads to change, and change leads to form,that leads to imbalance.This is the essence of Nature’s imperfect  cycle of creation” (Marcelo Gleiser)

• What is Energy & How does it manifest? 20% 20%
AWARENESS

In order to construct new learning, we need to be thinking about something:

How can we define the concept of Energy?

What are the forms of energy?

ABSTRACTION

When we notice patterns and relationships we abstract them from the context in which we have found them, and consider if there is a generalisation or principle at work:

How can we relate the different forms of Energy with the Elements of Nature?

The Energy Problem(Al Gore)

Matter is ENERGY!

APPLICATION

To test our ideas out, we apply our generalisation to a new context to see if it works there too, or if we need to adjust it in someway

Can we agree on how to complete the Energy Matrix by putting the different forms under their corresponding Element?

• What moves & what pushes the flow of energy? 40% 40%
AWARENESS

What is Energy? What is required for any system to have energy?

ABSTRACTION

For a system to work, something has to move (variable) and something has to push (Potential Difference).

What moves and what pushes in every system of Nature?

Electric Potential & Charges

Temperature & Heat

Nature of Light

APPLICATION

After  meditating and learning discuss in your own groups what words to put inside each box in the 1st & 2nd column of the matrix.

Can we all agree on the positions of the concepts in the map?

• What are the LAWS for Energy? 60% 60%
AWARENESS

What are the laws of Nature? How can we find Laws to quantify the concept of Energy?

ABSTRACTION

Can we transform these patterns of Nature into Equations? Laws for Energy?

What is a THEORY and what is a LAW?

APPLICATION

After meditating and learning discuss in your own groups what Equations to put inside each box in the 3rd column of the matrix

Can we all agree with these laws? Are these Universal Laws?

• What is matter? 70% 70%
AWARENESS

What’s the matter?

4 forces + 12 particle = UNIVERSE

ABSTRACTION

In order to understand the nature of matter we need to look at the atomic model and understand molecules.

What is an atom? and a Molecule?

APPLICATION

Once we agree on the atomic model, can we see patterns in the way nature behaves?

• What makes molecules move? 80% 80%

video of Difussion

video of Photosynthesis

• What is life? 100% 100%

LIFE Meditation

Why is our Universe fine tuned for life? (B. Greene)

“Upon the end of the year I received my final grades for 11th grade, and I think you would be Glad hear that I scored a 97% average in my classes, and a 96% in honors Physics (highest in the grade). This year I have learnt a lot of new concepts, mostly deepening my fundamentals of Physics, and I was able to perform at such a high level due to the solid foundation that was created during 9th and 10th grade due to the matrix we learnt about. I felt like I did not memorise much and was just able to connect ideas and concepts using the matrix and my foundation that you helped foster over the last two years. I would like to give you a massive thanks for that. In addition to my academics, I have been very involved in running and practicing mindfulness. Moving so far away showed me the importance of meditation and is something I have implemented in my life, a practice that was encouraged by you. The meditation has really helped me develop as a human, so I want to give another thanks for that too”

V. (UWCSEA 2017/18)

“He has a way with words and can really make the science flow together with peaceful meditation”

“I have been doing meditation and yoga for a long time but I have never really liked it. But this session was the first time I really enjoyed it. I have a really bad back so in the first part where we had to sit up it was really painful. But then when we were lying down I was really relaxed”

“His narration was amazing and very calming”

“It made me feel throughout my entire body a tingling and happiness, a sense of serenity and calm, which is not present often in life. I valued the experience very much”

“It was really therapeutic and relaxing”

“Our body produces more heat per kilogram than the sun, the scale of our universe, realised how old the atoms in our body is, the speed of particles and radiation in our bodies”

“I learnt about our connection with the universe, to be free, and that love is our nature”

“I learnt a lot of mindblowing Science”

FIB 2019