Personal Statement

As an individual, my driving force, my goal is improving every aspect of my life, and to be the best I possibly can. I’ve also been known to be caring, kind, and understanding. I’m very artistic in nature, therefore I love drawing, and listening to music. I also love to play sports, and while I don’t excel in any one particular sport, I enjoy a wide variety of sports. I also love reading and challenging myself to learn.

My transition to high school was accompanied by multiple other changes. I had switched countries, changed education boards, lost friends and made new ones. My life changed in many ways, and so did I, as a person. While the change lead had negative externalities, on a holistic level it was a positive one. For example, I used to play basketball every day in my previous apartment complex, however, I don’t have immediate access to a basketball court here. Also, I had to play ‘catch-up’ in some sense, as the style of education and the content itself was very different from my last school, and I didn’t have the pre-requisite knowledge required for some subjects, and that slightly hindered my learning. Plus, I found it hard to balance my work and sports activities. I worked extremely hard to get my grades up and lost focus of a lot of other aspects in my life. On top of that, my efforts proved unfruitful, so I’ve been left with a sense of defeat. However, I’ve turned this feeling of defeat into enthusiasm, and it helped shape my short term aspirations. These include signing up for a variety of sport, taking part in a production, picking the guitar again, reading more and working on my weaknesses (academic) and locating where my weaknesses lie, e.t.c.

For my long term aspirations, I am slightly unclear as to where exactly what I want to do. However, I do have some basic ideas on what I’m interested in and good at. For example, I’m good at advertising and marketing and I’m also interested in business in general. On the contrary, I’m interested in art and culture, so I might follow the path of a tattoo artist, and travel the world experiencing different religions and cultures.

While I’m unsure of how I’m going to achieve my long term goals, I have a plan that should help me achieve my short term aims. I plan to push myself to sign up for things that make me uncomfortable, go the extra mile when it comes to signing up for activities, using my summer break to work religiously and get more active. I also plan to look through my notes and the grade 10 syllabus.