Jazz Band 1st Impressions and Accomplishments

I’ve been going to Jazz Band for about a month so far, and I’ve liked it an incredibly amount. I play the Euphonium and Jazz Band is something which I’ve been wanting to do for a very long time now. It’s been exciting as much as it has been challenging. This is the first time I’ve played on an ensamble with someone else playing my instrument, and this has made me aware of the things I can improve on, like jazz articulation and the range required for the specific music. Since it’s easier now for me to see what I need to improve on, it’s easier for me to work on these things outside of Jazz Band. From the struggles that I’ve found in my playing I’ve been able to work on them more in my ITP lessons, which hopefully will reflect while playing on Jazz Band.

Last Jazz Band practice was the first time I played am improvised solo in front of anyone during a piece of music. I had no idea of how it would turn out. After getting 5 seconds of instruction of how to work around the solo from my instructor I tried it to the best of my abilities. The solo wasn’t excellent, but I was proud of it being the first time I had done it in a Jazz Band. Additionally, I feel like I know how to improvise a solo that fits better in the music next time that I get called upon to play alone.