Service Reflection 3 – change

Season 3 of Apex Harmony has started. This season, we have 6 new grade 9s as the previous grade 10s have left for their mock exams. This is week 3 of the new season and we have only visited Apex once. We have been planning activities for the past 2 lessons. From the first visit, I have noticed many changes. One change was the place and the residents. During the 2 week break, they had rebuilt a lot of the building. Many of the past residents we had worked with had spread out to different areas within the facility. This meant that we were making with new people. Another change I noticed was the change in myself. I am now able to communicate with the residents better. Looking back at the past, I remember how I was hesitant to start a conversation with the residents. This was because I was afraid that they could be in a bad mood, as mentioned in my previous reflection. Many grade 9 students are in a similar situation right now. By comparing them and myself now, I am able to see how I have developed my skills to communicate with the residents.

Throughout the next 2 seasons, I will try to help the grade 9s as much as possible. My next step is to overcome my comfort zone. Although my communication has developed, I believe I am still trying to stay safe in my comfort zone. This can be evident as I am not initiating the conversations.

LO 1 Identifying own strengths and develop areas for personal growth

LO 2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

LO 5 Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively

LO 6 Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance

LO 7 Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and actions