Reflection

LO 6: Engaging with issues of global importance

It is unfortunate that we were not able to achieve the missions of our service because of the coronavirus but besides, there is actually a lot that I learned from ‘memoirs of the pioneer generation’. Most importantly I learned to accept other people’s differences. This is an issue of utmost importance looking at the fact that we are living in a world where no two people are the same. I absolutely understand that in my service, we dealt specifically with seniors and assisted them in making their lives sound more meaningful but even so that gave me the platform to relate to other people’s differences, including myself. For instance, our clients were seniors and I am a teenager, they are Singaporeans and I am Tswana, they are disabled whereas I am not. These are some of the things that I took time to sit down and start thinking about them because I felt that they are very relevant to everyday life. Being able to recognize those differences and accept other people made me realize how great and amazing it is to understand each other and live together peacefully. It made me wonder and start imagining how amazing the world be if everyone cared about others and accepted their unique differences.