Playing the Viola In My School’s Musical AIDA – LO2/LO4/LO5

Reflection 1: LO4/LO2

This year I am thrilled to be taking part in the school’s musical AIDA. I am so grateful to have been selected to play the viola in the pit band. It is truly a one of a kind opportunity that I am sure will be a highlight of my year. While rehearsals have only recently begun, I have put in a lot of time and effort preparing the pieces to ensure that the rehearsals go smoothly. What makes this experience challenging is that it requires a lot of commitment and responsibility. Being a member of the band is like being part of a team, everyone needs to show that they are dedicated and willing to put in the hard work outside of rehearsal time so that we don’t let the team down. This relates to the fourth learning outcome of CAS as I have had to persevere and demonstrate initiative. At the beginning of the year, I set myself a personal goal to challenge myself and step out of my comfort zone. I struggle a lot with nerves especially when having to perform in front of a big audience. By taking part in this experience I am also working towards the second learning outcome of CAS as I hope to develop more confidence and prove to myself that I can overcome these challenges.

Reflection 2: LO4

Photos from AIDA:

Reflection 3: LO5

Participating in AIDA has been one of the best experiences during my time in high school. Despite all the challenges and many hours of rehearsals, I feel like I’ve come out of this experience with many new skills as a musician but more importantly, I have met so many amazing people and built friendships which I wouldn’t have been able to make if it wasn’t for AIDA. Through being involved in a massive production, I realised the importance and benefits of working collaboratively. This connects to the fifth learning outcome of CAS. Putting on a big production like the high school musical is a team effort, and requires commitment and dedication from everyone involved. In regards to being a part of the pit band, it was essential that everyone was an active member. This meant taking time out to learn your parts at home so that rehearsals could go smoothly, taking the initiative to raise any questions or problems you had with the piece with the conductor, and communicating with the rest of the group. By working collaboratively, I feel that we definitely achieved our goal of putting on an amazing high school production.