Based on the tips from this article, here are my three goals I would like to focus on this year:

1. “Don’t seek perfection”

I recognise that I have a strong tendency to opt for perfection in everything I do. Even if it a small task supposed to be completed in 10 minutes, I would spend an hour or two, trying to perfect it. This might actually be such an inefficient use of my energy and precious time. Furthermore, seeking perfection for everything simply builds up  stress. As mentioned in the article, there is no such thing as ‘perfect’. Humans are supposed to fail, and that process of failing, reflecting and improving is how we have evolved. Therefore, I would like to put in mind that not everything has to be perfect. This will allow me to feel more mentally relaxed, which might have a positive effect on my emotions and relationships.

2. “Stop negative self-talks in its tracks”

Linking to my perfectionist trait, I often find myself getting trapped in negative self-talks after failures or mistakes. I believe my ability to self-analyse and self-reflect is my strength, but this, at times, end up in endless self-criticism. As a result, I can become very gloomy and moody, especially towards my family. It might be helpful to remind myself that at one point, I should forgive and forget in order to move forward. This may allow me to stay positive and productive at all times.

3. “Don’t let anyone limit your joy”

I found this very important because I agree that one must not be controlled by the people around. Every person is uniquely different, so it is unreasonable to compare yourself with others. I would like to set my own, challenging but achievable goals, and openly celebrate when I succeed. Furthermore, I want to be considerate never to ruin another person’s happiness my downgrading what they are celebrating. I must show empathy and celebrate together!