Writer’s Fortnight Speaker 1 – Martini Suarez

Today I have started my writer’s fortnight week where I get to listen to a lot of inspiring stories from speakers who come from all around the world to tell an amazing story to the students.

The first speaker that I listened to today was actually, Mr.Suarez from the science department. He had worked in a maximum level of prison helping the inmates who had made a wrong decision in their life to get back on the right decision and send them off into the real world again. He was working as a part-time teacher in the prison to educate the inmates because he believed that having a high level of education greatly reduced the number of criminals that the country had. He then met 2 inmates with vastly different backgrounds. One (His name is German) had a very supportive parent, lived a happy life until he just made a single bad decision that got him into jail. The other (His name is Gaby) had a very abusive father when he was young, he lived on the streets, and have been running away from the police ever since. They both got diplomas through the prison’s diploma program but then when they were finally set free they both took on a completely different life. German kept his promise of him not going into the wrong ways of life and found a job as a car mechanic however when Gaby escaped, Gaby had gone back to the old days; Being a criminal and constantly running away from the police.

This story made me question one thing, “Should all criminals be forgiven of their crimes no matter how bad they were?”

I personally think that the answer is no and we have to be looking case by case. We can’t generalize the term “Criminal” and fit it on every single prison inmate in the world. Not everyone is like German nor like Gaby and I think that criminals should be given at least one chance to be able to live their non-criminal life once again.