OPERA SINGING COURSES REFLECTION #2

LO 2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

For the past two months, I have been building on the Opera singing skills I have acquired from previous practice as well as introducing a new composition to my repertoire. This one, is a Russian folklore song – “My love lives…”.

With all the weekly practice I had, it seemed that this song would come more easily to me, due to the skills I had acquired, however, it turned out to be a lot more challenging than I anticipated. Having already accustomed to a deeper tone of singing when performing “O cessate di piagarmi” it was difficult to adapt to a “higher” and “lighter” way of vocal performance. The different ways and interpretations of singing really explore and develop my creativity – the ability to add your own feelings and emotions to a composition/song, making it a little unique.

Therefore, it took a lot of effort which consisted mainly of voice positioning and practice to get, more or less, the right sound. However, even know, there are still shortcomings which I’m working on. This process became quite time-consuming, and this is where my ability to persevere helped me acquire skills for this specific composition.

So far, this has been an incredible learning process for me, and I feel that my vocal skills have vastly improved, compared to the beginning of the year. And no matter what difficulties arise, I always remind myself, that learning how to sing Opera is a lengthy and highly complex journey and that I shouldn’t expect to see “astonishing” results at the end of every week. Yet, as I went further with my lessons, I noticed that really cherish the “growth”, “the development”, because singing invigorates me and lights me with a positive attitude to go forward in every area of study.

Categories: CAS