IFP Mae Sot

LO3-Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience

LO4-Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences. Students can articulate the stages from conceiving an idea to executing a plan for a CAS experience or series of CAS experiences.

After the IFP session that happened in season 1 where we learned about different types of peace, different techniques to listen and coach people and as well learn how to build the relationship in a group, fortunately, I got accepted to the IFP Mae Sot team. At the start of the planning process, I was confused and nervous because I never work with 20 others people in a team before especially when there is so much expectation on the quality of the conference from the delegates. However, after one or two sessions as we get to know each other better, I decided to take some initiative to get to know different people from Dover as well as East. We divided the conference into different themes that we think are relevant to the conference and I chose collaboration because, through many of my CAS experiences, I realised that collaboration is really important and it is also a good way to start the conference, so people can work together and become more comfortable with each other for the rest of the conference. We have the meeting once a week, every Tuesday and there is always something that needs to be done whether I am a project manager or not, thus, I believe that even if I am not a project manager, I still can help the team by assisting the project manager and give out ideas like other members of the team as well. During the planning process, there are some challenges, for example, the constant changes in the plan, how to organise our themes to make it impactful or how to keep connected with the Dover members because even though we do not get to meet every week, we still need to work together. We solve this problem by creating a group chat for each theme of the conference and the whole team group chat that includes both Dover and East members. Even though there are constant changes in the plan, we make sure that the changes are accepted and known by the whole team because one changes can affect the whole team and we need to work together and these problems can still happen in the future. For example, we changed our timetable according to the amount of time we have set, our team collaboration wanted our time to be more spread out so we can bond more with the delegates on the fourth day of the conference, thus, we discussed this with the whole team and come up with a solution by taking over a slot from another theme.

Fortunately, I got to participate as one of the facilitators of IFP Cambodia which were a more challenging experience to IFP Mae Sot in my opinion since the team need to organise everything by yourself. However, it gives me some experiences and understands what could be done in IFP Mae Sot to make it better and not making the same mistakes as what I did in Cambodia.