Education Behind Bars

Our speaker today Martin Suarez, taught in a prison for about 10 years. He shared his experiences, motives, and lessons learned from this experience. One thing that struck me during his talk was the passion he displayed when talking about the change he thinks he made. There was a moment where he expressed his passion by saying, “The people in prison taught me more than I taught them, They inspired me to treasure the little things in life. He also talked about his two favourite pupils Gaby and German. Gaby grew up in a very rough childhood, he had an abusive father who tried to kill his mother and him. He had to fend for himself in the violent streets of Argentina. He had killed numerous people and thus he a ‘Maximum Risk’ prisoner. One thing that Mr. Suarez said was German had only killed people like corrupt officials and other criminals. He never had a knack to kill innocent people. German on the other hand grew up with a family who loved him and one that took care of him. However, he got into some shady dealings involving stolen cars and thus he was put in prison. Gaby and German both had kids and it was evident that “They couldn’t live a single day without thinking of their daughters”. Gaby was extremely clever and he used to study religiously under the tutoring of Mr. Suarez. He even ended up almost passing law school. German on the other hand used to help the other inmates study and he was constantly being nice to everyone. I was so mesmerized by the talk that, I had not even taken two lines of notes by then. Here we had two people who made mistakes in their lives, yet they never gave up and kept pushing to be the best they could be. After getting out of prison, German went on to open up his own car repair shop, which was very successful. Gaby on the other hand also got out of prison with his almost completed law degree. However, Mr. Suarez thinks that he has gotten back into organized crime because the last time he went to visit him, Gaby couldn’t look him the eye when he asked him about what he was doing. Gaby specifically said, “Life is hard for me. It is hard to get jobs for prison inmates and I have lost a lot of loved ones.”. This made me realise that not every story has a happy ending.

One thought on “Education Behind Bars”