To what extent has tourism impacted Kenya’s cultural and environmental preservation within the country?

Kenya is a country of rich biodiversity and culture however this virtue brings many tourists, eager to experience the beauty of the country. Throughout my recent trip to Kenya, I was amazed by the lavishness of everything I witnessed. From the wildlife on Mt. Kenya to the pure joy of the Maasai women, everything seemed untouched. This report will take my experiences and observations from my expedition to gain a clearer picture of tourisms affects on Kenya, as well as their efforts of conservation. It will also act as a medium for my reflection about the trip.

Cultural Preservation

Kenya – as many know – is rich in cultural diversity. With many tribes and customs, Kenya is a place where tourists come to indulge themselves and be exposed to the Kenyan culture. This, however, is not without consequences. Like a silent killer, (through my experiences) I feel that the Maasai and Kenyan culture is slowly being suffocated through the growing tourism industry. 

During the last few days of the trip, we were overwhelmed with cultural traditions; songs, dances, rituals when welcomed by the Maasai mamas ( a group of Maasi women of all ages that lived together). It was a very eyeopening experience and it would be ignorant of me to not acknowledge the depth of understanding I have for the Maasai culture as a result of this trip. Tourism has no doubt helped me become more aware of the Maasai lifestyle. One of the elders explained how they did not see our visit as a ‘museum trip’ but more a chance to let us participate in their lifestyle and culture rather than just observe. However, it was not soon before we came across many worrying signs of cultural dilution.

Dilution of culture is when lifestyle and traditions become skewed and changed by a western or external influence (tourism). In the case of the Maasai communities, you could identify many cases where there was something off in their actions and presentations. 

The large group of women in the middle of the field relaxed whilst making jewellery and ornaments. Although it was a fulfilling presentation of how they earn a livelihood, the keychains and necklaces differed greatly to what the Maasai women were wearing. The intricate details were lacking and the material seemed less integral. In my opinion, this culture of craft has been affected by the unforgiving cycle of consumption that comes hand-in-hand with tourism. What once was a display of the incredible talent of these women has now become nothing more than a grounds for profit. 

Furthermore, we heard it was a tradition or ‘ritual’ to sacrifice a goat as a welcoming for visitors. Throughout the trip, I was quite looking forward to this extravagant showing. When the goats final seconds crept closer I was struggling to find the culture or reasons for the ritual. It eventually turned me away; I am all for traditions, but this was simply unethical. This poor goat with soft grey fur and childlike calls was tied to a pole on the side of the camp. It spent its last hours with no more than a meter to graze. It was from that short metal stick where it was taken by the village elder (the only male Maasai in the complex), held down by a group of 9 teenage boys from a school in Singapore, and killed. The whole experience which stemmed from a tradition of drinking a goats blood for prosperity and luck, turned into an emotionless slaughter for the eyes of us, tourists.

With the rise of globalisation and cultural diffusion, the importance of traditions and customs can be debated. However, with this specific research question in mind, I would conclude that tourism – although seemingly a medium for cultural advocacy – has become a force of dilution, stripping cultures of their authenticity and sentiment.

Environmental Preservation

Our camp was located in the Ol Pejeta conservancy meaning from the beginning we were surrounded by wildlife. From a tourist’s perspective, it is hard to evaluate the impact we are having because we are so engrossed in the moment and it is difficult to look at the bigger picture. Reflecting now, it is clear that the conservancy and camp-site were making conscious strides to minimising our impact on the environment. There were strict policies on waste disposal as well as conscious water usage. Throughout the trip, the company we were travelling with ‘Rift-Valley Adventures’ was very enthusiastic about the idea of eco-tourism and therefore, our activities were very environmentally focused. For example, beyond just acting environmentally, we were given the opportunity to learn about the preservation of the conservancy. We had several hours spent with poaching dogs that protected the endangered species from a variety of threats. Additionally, we learnt about an initiative in the conservancy about helping chimpanzees. It is hard to say whether other tourism companies have adopted the same eco-centric mindset, however, if RVA is not the only sustainable tourism company, projected tourism in Kenya will have a minimal impact on the environment. 

Another way tourism can support environmental preservation is through awareness. Our second day was dedicated to learning about conservation in the Ol Pejeta park. We were privileged enough to be able to see close-up the last northern white rhino. This was a memorable experience because we often hear about the extinction of animals however we never see the true beauty and value of these animals. Seeing the rhino, her caretakers and her environment have made me more aware of the issue of poaching and illegal animal trafficking. This was amplified when we visited the rhino cemetery nearing the end of the trip; it allowed me to see the graves of the 10+ rhinos that have been poached, it made the issue real for me. From this, we can see that direct tourism can increase awareness about pressing environmental issues and generate activist to help preserve the wildlife and nature in Kenya. 

In my school geography lessons, we learn about sustainable tourism and its effects on local environments. I can draw a lot of what I have learnt in class, to my experiences in Kenya. For example, we learn about how increased tourism leads to more incentive for governments to invest in their environment. This means more conservancies, more national parks and more environmental preservation. The doctor who accompanied us in our hike was a certified ‘Kenyan Environmental Ambassador’, he explained to our group how important the rules and regulations in the Mt Kenya National Park was to maintain its beauty. He talked about his experiences in Kenya and how he and the government are working towards a cleaner, and greener Kenya. 

Relating this back to my research question, when looking at tourism in Kenya through an environmental lens we can see how it possesses both advantages and disadvantages. Whilst it promotes environmental awareness and calls for government support — the large carbon emissions, increased waste production and unethical tourist actions paint a bad reputation for tourism in Kenya. 

My expedition to Kenya was eye-opening. I returned to the bubble that is Singapore with a magnitude of memories, experiences and knowledge that was only possible through the ups-and-downs of the trip. 

It is hard for words to change a habit. A simple post on Instagram about poachers in Africa is not likely going to stop you from picking up that medicine made from rhino horns. It is only when we are exposed to an experience that truly touches your core that real internal change takes place. Tourism – although it has scattered negative effects, provides the world with those experiences to change. It acts as a reminder for people about the environmental and cultural value we have in our diverse world.