After taking part in the Bedok Peacehaven Service during grades 9 and 10, I decided that I wanted to continue contributing towards helping the elderly individuals at the center as I felt as though I had already built a strong connection with many of the individuals there. Seeing as many of the other local services options did not cater to my interests, I knew that continuing with the service for a second year would be a good idea. Not to mention, one of the motivating factors involved the idea that I could then take on leadership roles within the service, for instance being a logistics organizer, communications coordinator, or chair.

During the first session, we familiarised ourselves with the service-learning action plan and started off by assigning roles to each member of the service. With the grade 11s being given greater roles of responsibility, Alia and I were nominated as chairs, as I had acquired prior experience being in the service for the previous year, and Alia felt confident in taking on the shared responsibility. We then elected Pranav as the communications coordinator, as he had good verbal and written communication skills, whilst Tanuj was elected the logistics organizer as he is quite organized and knows how to manage his time well.

Overall, this was quite a productive session as we were also able to outline our SMART goals; specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-specific according to our aims and objectives of contributing towards enhancing our weekly interactions with the elderly.