As I had taken part in Culturama last year and really enjoyed the overall experience, I was quite interested to take part in it again this year. What I really like about Culturama was the idea that we could get involved in learning and experiencing a new style of dance from a country other than our own. It really gave me the opportunity to build upon my prior dance skills and technique as I have been dancing since I was 8. Even watching the performances from other countries was really interesting and eye-opening as I had never seen any of these traditional dances being performed before.

Another aspect of Culturama that I particularly liked were the elements of costume and music that added a lot of depth to each of the pieces and enhanced my cultural understanding of a range of different countries. With each dance being made up of people from various nationalities and ethnicities, it was really nice being able to watch the dance come together as a whole.

With the hopes of getting to experience a dance style from a new country this year, I was really excited to be able to audition and try out for this creative element of CAS. In alignment with my interests, Culturama really caters to my strengths and also allows students who may not have much experience with dance to be able to take on leadership roles by choreographing a country-based dance.

Culturama 2018 – Polynesia