Further Oral Assessment: The Boston Accent // SL LangLit

This further oral assessment is the first of many. I chose to do mine on the accent of Boston and surrounding area to the greater New England. The presentation talked about the unusual pronunciation and lexicon of the accent, along with how it was utilized within today’s society.

Reflection

What did you DO as your FOA?
During this FOA I focused on the Boston Accent; the history, lexicon, and modern use. The means of which I did this was through a presentation with some interactive elements within.

How was this related to the course? Be specific: which course topic (“Language and Identity, Language and Power, etc.) did it touch on, which class text, if any, did it link to?
The FOA relates to language and identity; I talked about how the Boston accent is used to create one’s social identity. I didn’t specifically relate to a text in class.

What text(s) did you use or refer to in your activity?
During the presentation I referred to a youtube clip showing the perfect boston accent which I broke down and explained the different areas of importance within the boston accent. There was also a comedy sketch which showed the Boston accent in a comedic sense. In addition I also referenced a few other movies which showcased the utilization of a modern adaptation of my topic.

Where did you start and where did you finish, in terms of your subject?
Well, I went into the history of the Boston accent, its origins and then progressed into how it handled in present day context. I talked about the different elements that make the accent recognizable and also went into the lexicon; planning a simple activity to engage the class.

Looking over the rubric, where do you see your targets for next time?
I think something I could improve on was criterion B; this is addressing how the language in used to create meaning. I touched on the topic but could really dig deeper into finding out how exactly the language is utilized within a specific context. This could be improved with a better analysis to a better text, with predetermined context.

Looking over the rubric, which category do you feel you addressed the most thoroughly?
I believe I was quite organized within the task, my slide and presentation was accurate, clear, and concise (Criterion C). Through the presentation I believe my energy and knowledge was consistent. I also believe I had a pretty good understanding of the accent which I was presenting on, with relevant information that related within the context.

Further Oral Activity Feedback – Chris Huntington
Gus, I thought your presentation on the Boston accent was entertaining and we learned a little —I can’t say we learned a LOT, but I think your classmates will be a little sharper at recognizing it in the future. Your technical side, which interested me, was actually a little weak. You showcased “non rhetoric pronunciation” and spoke in this way, but in linguistic terms, what you were talking about is “non-rhotic pronunciation.” Rhetoric is something else. I was hoping you’d really go deep with some of your terms —like “why some people think it’s racist to call chocolate sprinkles ‘jimmies’”—but you kept it light and quick, which was fine too, for an introductory talk. You’re a good speaker; you made solid eye contact and seemed at ease and interested in your subject matter, which made it easy for the audience to be the same. In your next talk, do a little more research so you can bring more hard facts and specificity —you gave us some good examples (that councilman was wonderful) but were not strong on the rules (tell us more about linking and intrusive R —so we can try to do the accent ourselves). You could talk about the varieties within the “Boston accent” —how Kennedy tied the accent to overt prestige, but that’s not the same as the “Southie” accent we hear in movies (is that a dialect, based on geography, or a sociolect, based on social class/groups?)—there is a lot to talk about in this topic, and you did a good job getting us started —but for top marks, you’d have to teach us a bit more, too. What do you think?

Feedback Rubric

0 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 9-10

Criterion A: Knowledge and Understanding of the Text(s) and Subject Matter or Extract

– To what extent does the activity show knowledge and understanding of the text(s) and subject chosen for the oral activity?

– Has the student shown awareness and understanding of the meaning of the text(s) in relation to the subject?

The work does not reach a standard described by the descriptors below. The activity shows limited knowledge and little or no understanding of the text(s) and the subject chosen. The activity shows some knowledge and understanding of the text(s) and some awareness of the significance of the text(s) in relation to the subject chosen. The activity shows adequate knowledge and understanding of the text(s) and awareness of the significance of the text(s) in relation to the subject chosen. The activity shows good knowledge and understanding of the text(s) and good awareness of the significance of the text(s) in relation to the subject chosen. The activity shows excellent knowledge and understanding of the text(s) and excellent awareness of the significance of the text(s) in relation to the subject chosen.

Criterion B: Understanding of How Language is Used

– To what extent does the activity show understanding of the way language is used to create meaning?

– Has the student shown an appreciation of how language and style is used to particular effect in the text?

The work does not reach a standard described by the descriptors below. The work shows a superficial understanding of the way language is used to create meaning; there is little appreciation of the use of language and style. The work shows some understanding of the way language is used to create meaning; there is some appreciation of the use of language and style. The work shows an adequate understanding of the way language is used to create meaning and adequate appreciation of the use of language and style. The work shows a good understanding of the way language is used to create meaning and good appreciation of the use of language and style. The work shows an excellent understanding of the way language is used to create meaning. The appreciation of the use of language and style is thorough and detailed.
0 1 2 3 4 5

Criterion C: Organization

– How well organized is the oral activity?

– How coherent is the structure?

The work does not reach a standard described by the descriptors below. Little organization is apparent; the oral activity has little structure. Some organization is apparent; the oral activity has some structure. The oral activity is organized; the structure is generally coherent. The oral activity is well organized; the structure is mostly coherent. The oral activity is effectively organized; the structure is coherent and effective.

Criterion D: Language  

– How clear, varied and accurate is the language?

– How appropriate is the choice of register and style? (“Register” refers, in this context, to the student’s use of elements such as vocabulary, tone, sentence structure and idiom appropriate to the further oral activity.)

The work does not reach a standard described by the descriptors below. The language is rarely clear and appropriate, with many errors in grammar and sentence construction and little sense of register and style. The language is sometimes clear and appropriate; grammar and sentence construction are generally accurate, although errors and inconsistencies are apparent; register and style are to some extent appropriate to the oral activity. The language is mostly clear and appropriate, with an adequate degree of accuracy in grammar and sentence construction; the register and style are mostly appropriate to the oral activity. The language is clear and appropriate, with a good degree of accuracy in grammar and sentence construction; register and style are effective and appropriate to the oral activity. The language is very clear and entirely appropriate, with a high degree of accuracy in grammar and sentence construction; the register and style are consistently effective and appropriate to the oral activity.

obri10222@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg

Latest posts by obri10222@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg (see all)