Bangkok Feeding Frenzy 2019 // Swimming

• UWCSEA East Dragons Swim Team 2019

My 5 and final feeding frenzy. It’s been quite a journey. I’ve grown as a person, an athlete, a team member. Climbed the ranks from looking up to seniors to being a senior. I’ve had my ups and downs in swimming but to me feeding frenzy isn’t about the swimming really. It’s about having fun and being part of a team. I’ve never prioritised swimming at this meet but instead focused on others, whether it be pictures, supporting, or just talking with younger swimmers. I started swimming on a whim but only stuck with it because of the team around me. Alumni such as Lachy, Liam, Dan, Enya, and so many more people inspired me to keep swimming and be the best I could become. Feeding frenzy for me is a way to pass down the legacy, to inspire someone else younger. I may not enjoy swimming as much, but I’ve gained so much from this sport and hopefully some kid I cheered on at this meet will be writing a similar CAS reflection.

Due to my inconsistency in training, my times at this meet I render irrelevant. But I must note that I did do very well on my 50m butterfly and managed to surprise some. I’m so very proud of my B team relay, who put up an amazing fight, these days I’d much rather swim B-team and just have fun. Also I really loved “Team Gus” this year, thanks to Isabella Gritti (my second in command) and the cooperation of the team: Ines H, Jade L, Jing N, and Gianluca. You made the trip very enjoyable and stress free. Of course we won in our hearts but sometimes you can’t defeat personal bias (cough smith’s game is rigged).

All in all, while maybe not as good as previous years in terms of many things. I still consider my last Feeding Frenzy a smashing success and a great benchmark for the upcoming SEASAC tournament, likely my final farewell to high school swimming.

Learning outcomes and reflection questions topics included:  

• Big picture (Goals, Action and Learning)
  • LO 1 AWARENESS (Increased awareness of strengths and areas for growth)
  • LO 2 CHALLENGE (Undertaken new challenges)/NEW SKILLS (Developing new skills)
  • LO3 INITIATIVE (Planning and initiated activities)
  • LO 4 COMMITMENT (Showing perseverance, resilience and commitment in activities)
  • LO 5 COLLABORATION (Working together to achieve an outcome)
  • LO 6 GLOBAL VALUE (Engaging with issues of global importance)
  • LO 7 ETHICS (Considering the ethical implications of actions)