Personal Statement

My name is Shoon, currently in 9th grade. I am attending the UWCSEA East campus. Two words that would describe me are dependable and friendly. I am from Yangon, Myanmar and am living in Singapore right now. I have only attended one other school in Myanmar. The school that I went to in Myanmar was an international school which has led to me to a different path from my culture’s schooling. There were many challenges along the way and influences from various things. Meeting people from different cultures and ethics as well as receiving different methods of teaching from that school has changed the way I learn. I feel that I am open to more challenges that I can overcome and am not afraid to face them. My strengths are that I am caring towards others and am responsible for myself. I say those things because they connect with my interests and aspirations. My interests are that I like to be involved in volunteer work and enjoy physical activities such as volleyball. I also enjoy playing the piano and making music in my alone times. The main aspiration I have is that I want to help other people in order for them to have a healthy and happy life for themselves. Currently, my career goal is to become someone that can be there for someone else and help them achieve what they can in life. My long term goal is to become a doctor who can sustain all these goals.

There is support from my family and friends that encourage me to achieve my goals and reach them. I have been involved in hospital volunteer work. My father has helped me with this a lot since he has connections with hospitals and owns one. He inspires me every day to become a better person. I was apart of a volunteer work with Alliance for Smiles that helps repair children with cleft lips and palates by providing them with free treatments in developing countries. While doing this, it has helped me realize how lucky we are and made me want to help more people. I have also done a service with my school. I went to Nepal to help women to be confident with what they want to do and outgoing as it is hard in their country for women to step out of the norm. I enjoy Biology the most during school because I feel that it is very interesting to learn about how our bodies work and many other things.

Other than this, I enjoy playing volleyball in and outside of school. I have been playing volleyball since 6th grade. It was my 6th-grade teacher that got me into playing volleyball. He convinced me that I was good at volleyball and to try it out. Since then, I have fallen in love with the sport and hope to continue with the sport for as long as I can.

Currently, I’ve started making plans for myself to help me achieve those goals. As stated above, my passion is to help people. I would have to try my best not only in extra curriculums but also academic wise. I tend to go towards the activities side rather than the academic side which might hurt me in the long run. I do feel that I am doing good in my academics but not to my full potential. I would like to focus more towards my academics by making sure that if I feel that I am falling behind because of tiredness from activities or things like that, I will balance my time on spending academics and activities more often. I don’t really talk a lot or ask questions during class times. This is a challenge for me as I am still overcoming this. Asking questions and making sure I get what’s going on in class would be a step for me to achieve my goals.

I feel that I have many more steps to come to reaching my final goal. There will be many more obstacles in the way and I will have to be able to overcome those. I am slowly starting to reach those goals and hope to achieve it one day.