RDA Second Rotation: Third Session

After three weeks of working with Spencer and George, I feel much more comfortable working with someone with Spencers conditions. Although the initial learning curve was quite steep, and the number of little things to remember about how to speak and help Spencer move around was a little overwhelming, we have now settled into a sort of routine. My partner and I work well together, and Spencer seems to enjoy the time spent on the horse very much, though he has started to get a little bored with the constant circling of the track and is now being a bit more stubborn in partaking in what we ask of him. Despite this, he responds well to us as he feels comfortable with the sound of our voices. Goerge and I were chosen specifically to work with Spencer as we are both quite tall and have deep voices, as Spencer is used to the sound of his dad’s voice he feels more comfortable responding to us than some of the other volunteers.

I very much enjoy working with Spencer and he likes working with us. His ailments do make it a bit challenging for him to partake in all the activities that are set out for the other kids, but when prompted, he is able to do almost all of them, with a little help of course. Working with Spencer has opened my eyes a little more to how it must be to be without one of our key senses. It has taught me how to interact with and treat someone who may be visually impaired. Although it is still quite challenging to get onto and off of the horse due to his cerebral palsy, he is now finding it easy to maintain his posture whilst riding. Even despite his condition, he is quite a good rider and never does anything to endanger himself, the horse or anyone around him, unlike my previous partner. Spencer seems very aware of what he is doing and that he is riding something that is alive and intelligent.

Spencer has also started to call George and me by our names, able to recognize us by our voices. He always gives a high five when he hears someone walk past and pats the horse after every session without prompting. Despite my initial thoughts, Spencer is very self-sufficient, intelligent and compassionate and has taught me a lot about dealing with the physically disabled.

Though this week he has become a little reluctant to do some of the stretches that we ask him to do. Although stretching will probably not do much for him, it is good to warm up before riding. I think that he just gets bored and wants to start riding right away.

Categories: CAS