Culturama – Lesson 1

I don’t consider myself to be good at dancing, but I do enjoy doing it. Because of this, I am very happy that I got the chance to participate in my school’s dance showcase – Cutlurama. I auditioned for three culturama groups— Trinidad, South Korea, and Germany. As the auditions were very competitive I didn’t think I would get into a group. I was very happy when I found out that I was allocated a spot in Culturama Germany.

The first lesson was very fun. German dances involve a lot of skipping and turning so we practised the motion of skipping and turning to get used to it. Additionally, we were able to learn the opening to the dance number that we were being taught. This involved skipping in pairs to make circles.

One difficulty I had was getting dizzy, once I got dizzy it was hard for me to continue skipping. But I think this can be solved with practice.

One challenge I faced was that I didn’t know many people in the dance. While I have two friends in the dance with me, I don’t get to talk to them much because I am not partners with either of them. This forces me to step outside my comfort zone and try to make friends with new people who I may not usually talk to. While it is a challenge, I look forward to getting to know and make bonds with new people.

Here is what we learnt in the lesson today: