LO7: MINDS AMK

There are a lot of ethical issues and scenarios in which require you to think about your actions when working with the disabled. I was in one such situation where one of the clients we were working with was constantly clawing at my arm. I had never been in such a situation before and was thus unsure as to what to do, so I decided to think logically about my next move and decided to simply walk away and sit on another seat and work with another client. Now that I look back on this situation, I am grateful for the presentations given to us by the staff at MINDS where they briefed us on what to do if clients get too physical. This allowed me to act ethically and logically in a situation I was unfamiliar with. In general, when working with clients with a mental disability, it is important to always remember that they may not understand the implications of the actions they perform and it is up to us to deal with any tricky situation in such a way that there is as little physical harm done to both sides as possible. These situations are rare, but when they do arise, acting ethically is crucial.