PSE Reflection

What have you learnt?

Throughout these lessons, the most important thing that I realized was that emotional intelligence is a skill. And, like any other skill, must be developed throughout a lifetime through practice, techniques, reflection and self-awareness. I have learnt strategies to become more emotionally intelligent in my daily life: some surprised me, and some didn’t. For example, reading fiction as a way to become more empathetic surprised me. It is one of my favorite pastimes, but I never considered that it would have long-term impacts on my interpersonal skills.

How can this benefit you?

Being empathetic, in a way, is a key to personal peace, because you understand that the way people act (particularly when they hurt you) often has very little to do with you. You feel less alone in the world, because you realize that everyone has similar motivations and thought processes and desires to dream as you. It has already brought me a sense of peace, because I know that I cannot control the way other people act, I can only control how I react. And an empathetic reaction is far more productive than a judgmental one.

How can you be more emotionally intelligent in your own life?

I can start by actively listening to the people I love when they are trying to express something to me. Sometimes, all it takes to make a day better is someone caring about you. I can also try to be more assertive during conversations, and guide it to a more productive place.