2 Comments

1. Meera Thilagaratnam

Teja,
    The topic of Singaporean identity/race relations is always a hot-button one, so well done on homing in on that. Also, your approach of wanting to probe the seedy underbelly of a seemingly perfect society shows good journalistic instincts.
    To finesse your argument that many Singaporeans are not mingling, it would be good to do a little digging yourself (beyond Deborah) and find statistics and survey results from a range of reports already out there from reputable news sources. Statistics on workplace discrimination, housing quotas, inter-racial marriage, racial perceptions, and so on.
    As you are rightly keen to look for “bottom-up” solutions, it always helps to find a credible chain of events that have led to the current “habits” and “walls” – this will lend your solutions heft. In Singapore, it probably is quite important to look at the political stakes when it comes to matters of race. Singapore was born in 1965 because of its leaders’ strong opinions on meritocracy, yet always tempered by their keen awareness that inter-racial tensions can flare dramatically. Race continues to inform much policy making for e.g. the recent changes to the Elected Presidency rules, the existence of ethnic self-help groups, trust issues in the higher echelons of the armed forces etc – is the government’s close management of race issues contributing to the sense of ethnic separateness in Singapore?

• praka16502@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg

Meera,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my article and leave this extremely insightful comment! I really appreciate it. I will definitely consider looking into more news sources and adding statistics to my article. I haven’t reflected that much upon the government’s role in this issue and will have to do more research in that area. Your feedback has definitely allowed me to construct a deeper understanding of the things that I should include the next time I write an opinion editorial. Thank you for leaving such a constructive and thoughtful message highlighting so many different points and perspectives to consider.