What defines a ‘Good Society’?

After watching the video I feel like I better understand the concept of a ‘good society’ and I now understand that many aspects are involved when defining a good society. Some of the points said in the video include economic well being. Mentioning that if a country is rich, but there are very few wealthy people and the rest of the country is poor is not a sign of a good society. Economic well being is one of the factors connecting the two sides of the coin in a country. Economic well being is able to act as the divide between the wealthy and the less economically developed. One of the four economic goals a government have are to close the gap between the rich and the poor and lessen the inequality that that creates. One of the biggest factors when wanting a good society is the government. If citizens are living under corruption, they won’t be able to trust their government and happiness lowers. As stated, wealth is not always measured in money and power but can be measured in happiness, health and prosperity. An example of people living in corruption are the people of Mexico in San Pedro. During the attack of the drug dealers the wealthy citizens of San Pedro (a suburb in Monterrey) hired Israeli soldiers to fight for them. This was only done because they could not trust their own government and because they believed that the corrupt government were not capable of protecting the city. To conclude, after watching the video and doing some research, I now believe that a ‘good society’ is not only an equally wealthy society but one that is prosperous, inclusive of all and well governed. However, despite this I understand that a society can never be perfect and not everyone will be satisfied.  

0 comments