HAS MY SERVICE CHANGED MY PERCEPTION OF EMPATHY?

I take part in a service that helps out in a cerebral palsy centre. I think my feeling toward this service have evolved throughout the duration of my participation.¬†Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another’s position. I feel when I started this service, I didn’t come to terms with the limitations in a cerebral palsy child’s life. I truly didn’t see them for who they were and just thought they were unlucky, but as I spend more time with these children, I truly care and I prioritise making them feeling equal to myself and any other human. My perception of feeling for another person and putting myself in another’s shoes has completely taken a 180 degrees change. I went from feeling sorry to coming to terms that I can never completely know what the child is going through but I can always treat them as I would treat myself and help however I can. The main reason why I feel this service is important is that I feel a child with cerebral palsy is helpless and that is what I truly believe is a disadvantage in this world, and I choose to do anything I can to make them feel atleast slightly helpless while I’m there.