Personal Culture- Blog 2

What do you think now about the role of genetics in determining your character? Has the information you have heard changed your mind or confirmed your beliefs? Write a paragraph to explain how significant genetics have been in influencing your identity.

Personally, now, I am still convinced that nature takes a big part in my development in terms of gender. Additionally, I do think that although it does not play a big part, nurture has also shaped me who I am now. I was convinced from the first time but the information, video, and the debate that was held during the class has confirmed this belief. To start of with, I remember that as a child, I would often do things that other boys my age would do. I didn’t play with dolls and watch Barbie like the other girls would do. I used to think that this was because I had a younger brother that I was responsible for taking care of. However, I then learned that my mom, my female cousin, and many more from my family tree, acts the same way as I had as a child. To add on with that, the likes and dislikes as well as how I act can mostly be reflected from my parents when they were my age. Over the years, I have commonly hear people say how much I am like my parents and used to compare me and my parents when they were a child. Consequently, this lead to me into believing that genetics has greatly influenced my identity and who I am as a person.

One response

1. I think you stated some very good ideas, I like how you linked how you acted when you were younger to the genetics of your whole family. I think this is very good argument, however maybe you could of went into more detail explaining how this has impacted beliefs etc.