Service: MINDS Tampines Reflection #1

Date: 21st October 2018

So far, MINDs Tampines has had 5 sessions, and each one has been preparation and learning. Our first session was a rundown of what the service would entail, and we learnt that MINDs Tampines is a service dedicated to helping a wide range of people with ID and other mental and physical disorders learn and acquire helpful life skills. We would be working with young adults and our task was to welcome them to our school each Monday at 3 pm and dance to fun music for 45 minutes with them.

We learnt that our aim was to instil a sense of community and create good relations with them, as well as give them some freedom of space and time to have fun. On the third session that we had, we visited the centre and got to look around the space as well as learn more about what the development centre does and ask questions. In the remaining 2 sessions before the break, we remained at school in order to prepare for their first visit on the first week back from the break. I was able to apply for a leadership position as a logistics officer, which I, fortunately, was able to assume. I believe I have the right skills and qualities to do well as the logistics manager for the group; I have had experience in leadership positions, and believe that because of this, I have strengths in responsibility and organisation. I am eager to begin working with our service partner directly.