Creativity: Guitar Reflection #2

Date: 9th December 2018

This reflection will be focused on Learning Objective 4: Demonstrating perseverance in my CAS commitment.

On November 28th, I completed my first recital as a guitar student, and it was a wholly challenging and valuable experience. As I was very busy throughout the week in which I was to perform, I found it difficult to squeeze in the time to rehearse my piece. However, I made sure to set aside at least 10 minutes every other day since committing to the performance to practice. Going over the song with my guitar teacher, Justaine, in a detailed and in-depth way just a week before the performance raised my confidence significantly, and allowed me to relax and trust my knowledge in my instrument.

Despite the major obstacle of lack of time due to an incredibly full schedule, I believe I was able to persevere and give productive time and effort to honing my craft and working on the skills I would need to perform. Coming up to the performance, I recognised that no matter how the recital went, what was important was that I was following through with a large commitment as a beginner in guitar and a first-time performer. The recital itself was not perfect and did not go as smoothly as I hoped with a few hiccups towards the end, but it was still very valuable and meaningful to me. The guitar is an instrument that I have wanted to learn since I was young, and finally being able to have something to show for the time I have put into it since the start of the school year has been incredibly enriching.