Pre-Internship Reflection

Date: 10th June 2019

In early April, I applied to 2 internships provided by Ms Wiseman and the internship program at school. Having been accepted into an internship within Expat Living, I wanted to write my initial reflection after coordinating with my internship supervisor and completing the agreement form.

• Describe your individual process of job search:

• What were your goals and expectations?
      • I think my goals and expectations at the start of the internship-searching process was definitely to be accepted to one that I believed would further my interests and skillsets – in other words, I didn’t want to apply and be accepted into an internship that did not address my interests as a learner and a student just to be able to use the experience as a checkbox. I wanted to find something that seemed tailored to what I wanted to study and what I felt I would be able to make a difference in.
      • However, I was not expecting to be able to meet this goal. I did not have success in a previous attempt at looking for an internship, and I wanted to go into this process knowing that there was a possibility I would be rejected.

• Were you able to meet your goals?
      • I believe I was able to meet my goal within the internship-searching process. I was accepted into an internship that I really felt aligned with me as a learner, and I feel I will be able to do progressive and productive work within.
    • How close to your expectations was the actual outcome?
      • I tried to keep my expectations realistic with the outcome of this process, and the fact that I was able to achieve my goal was outside of the realm of my expectations. I am very lucky to be given this opportunity and I fully give my thanks to Ms Wiseman and the Expat Living team for allowing me to be a part of this internship.
    • What have you learned through the process?
      • I have learned that it is important to put your best foot forward for opportunities like this, where you can have a life-changing experience. I believe what caused me to be rejected in my previous attempt to get an internship was that I did not try my best in putting together my CV and my resume. This year, I wanted to make sure I was putting forward my best skills and showcase what I was able to bring as a candidate, and it paid off.
    • What skills have you learned or applied?
      • I have utilised skills as a communicator heavily thus far in the process through my interactions with my supervisor at Expat Living. As I am unavailable to take part in the internship for the first half of the summer, it was important that I relayed this information to the team so they knew of my availability and were able to find a slot where I could come for the internship. I also used skills in being principled and responsible by handling these communications personally – I wanted to be organised and ensure I had the documents at least a few days ahead of time so I could confirm my position.
    • In what other situations or areas in your life might you apply the same skills and learning?
      • Given that an internship is an experience meant to give you a snapshot of what working life is like within the career that you are working within, I think the same skills and learning is applicable in any job-searching situation. Those who are successful in getting the jobs that they want are good communicators, collaborators, and are responsible and organised with their time and efforts.
    • What are some of your goals for your internship?
      • The main goal that I have been able to outline for my internship is learning more about the processes that take place within a job where communication and media production is prevalent. My preferred career path in university has to do with journalism, media, and English writing. I want to develop an understanding of what a job like this would look like, and gain experience that I can take with me in my working life.
      • Another goal would be to build interpersonal skills and relations and be able to network well and productively within a work environment. In school, we often have opportunities given to us, and I want to be able to look for these opportunities and make connections personally.
  • After recording your summer internship experience, what would you want to see/hear in yourself as you look back?
    • I want to be able to see that I have learned something and made use of the opportunity. I want to engage in activities and see that I have taken risks in order to better my experience and ensure that I have taken something from it that I can use in the future. I’ll know that the experience was a success when I finish it knowing valuable skills and information that I can keep with me.

• What might be some things you hope to be more confident in doing at the end of the work experience that you are not as confident doing right now?
    • I am not entirely confident in engaging in activities and tasks that may not be within my level of expertise. I want to be able to take more risks and try new things, even if I might fail. I want to keep in mind that the internship is a learning opportunity and not one where I am expected to do each task perfectly. The point of the three weeks will be for me to learn and grow.
  • What challenges might you face and what strategies might you employ in these situations?
    • A challenge, like what I mentioned previously, would be missing out on an opportunity to do riskier, more challenging tasks for fear of failure. In order to combat this problem, I want to ensure I am comfortable with my supervisor and am not afraid to ask them questions if I need help.