Writers Fortnight: Human Library

“When the tsunami hit, I was saved by my arm bands” (Calum)

“Superstitious woman saves lives” (Vicky)

“As a baby I was abandoned in a box wrapped in a red blanket, a sign of good luck” (Zoe)

Hearing these three stories from someone like me who hasn’t faced much life changing situations/events in their lives was very powerful and inspirational. It is vital to understand that everyone has a different story, whether they may be life changing/threatening or not, it’s important that we stay respectful of what someone has to share. Personally I believe these three people were very brave to share something so private to the class and it has influenced me to become more open-minded. I think a lot of the time people don’t fully understand what someones going through and we never get a chance to discuss about the experiences someones had and share our stories. People are constantly judging others as this is how humans have evolved, therefore it is rather rare to create a safe environment where everyone can express themselves freely. By others sharing their stories, it has allowed me to understand that although we are all the same, there are a few factors that show the differences in us which brings out the uniqueness of each individual, shaping us and making us who we are. This session has made me realise how influential a past event/experience may be to shape an individual’s identity, values and beliefs as well as the impact it creates on the surrounding. It’s not everyday where we get to listen to events that play a significant role in an individuals life so I thought it was a great experience to listen to the stories of my peers and acknowledge the diversity that lies within the class.