Writers Fortnight: Steve Dawson

Initially I wasn’t really sure on what to expect from the session as I thought it was just going to be about Steve Dawson sharing his story as a sports commentator. However afterwards, I have learnt many vital advice on how to ask good questions. To be honest I had never thought about how the way you phrase a question would create a huge impact on the way the interviewee would perceive it or how just by slightly changing your words and rearranging them you can let the interviewee have a lot of freedom in their thoughts. Other things I took away from this session was to ask open ended questions and to be a single shooter (don’t ask multiple questions at once). Steve Dawson had talked openly about his career and mentioned that he used to be a tax accountant but became a journalist. He hadn’t really enjoyed his work until he came across becoming a journalist and he found his passion. One of my biggest take away was the fact that you can transfer the skills you achieved in the past to other situations. Although Steve Dawson hadn’t really enjoyed being a tax accountant, he still learnt a lot out of it which he was able to apply to when he became a journalist. I learnt that it’s important to know that everything you do has a purpose and you can definitely learn something out of whatever you’re doing, transfer it to new context and show growth. 

One thought on “Writers Fortnight: Steve Dawson

1. Your thinking here also reminds me of my thinking as I have also mentioned how Steve Dawson’s various tips and tricks on improving our word of mouth in order to engage in an interesting interview.