Chamber String Ensemble – initial reflection

LO1: Identify their own strengths and develop areas for growth

The idea of playing in an ensemble setting, specifically exploring classical music, is something that is of my interest. Although I have had several opportunities to play baroque pieces as a solo instrument setting and am rather familiar with the style, when I heard that we would be exploring a Bach piece as an ensemble, I considered it as a great opportunity to enhance my ensemble skills within the classical style. I think the most vital thing that had to be considered was bringing out the main motifs or voices that were distributed across the different instrumental sections. Therefore, finding that balance of sound is crucial to the flow and cohesiveness of the piece. Personally, I feel that I need to improve on bringing out important voices, while keeping the chord accompaniment light and minimal to compliment the violins, as well as playing in sync with the cellos and contrabass as most of the time we share the same line in order to provide a stronger sense of structure to the whole piece.