House Band – initial reflection

LO2: Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.

LO5: Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively

As we began to work on ‘Light in the Hallway’, I recognised the need for the piano parts to accompany the vocalists in a way that would complement their melodic lines and the harmony created in order to enhance the richness of the texture as well as to support or emphasize certain vocal lines. Through the experimentation process, I developed a greater sense of awareness of the different parts that were simultaneously occurring and also learnt to become more flexible. By being flexible with my part, I could explore an appropriate way to complement the vocal lines and see what works and what doesn’t, therefore in a way I believe it is also important to be spontaneous to experiment with different ideas. In addition, I find value in working with another pianist as we can not only bounce ideas off of each other to explore various possibilities, but also establish a nice harmony between our parts and help one another support the vocal lines.