Violin Lessons – second reflection

LO4: Show commitment and perseverance

Over the past few months, I have played pieces that include shifts from flats to natural, have been introduced to idea of third position, vibrato as well as harmonics, which have been very exciting for me. Although I feel as if the string crossings have become more clean as opposed to before, I still find myself not playing accurate notes in the sense of the need to make slight adjustments to the placement of the finger on the fingerboard to shift the pitch slightly. In addition, the quality of sound produced can often be difficult to achieve when focusing too much on the technical elements of a piece, therefore this sense of balance requires more time to figure out as I try to become more accurate with my bowing and more comfortable using appropriate bow distributions and pressure depending on the passage. I am tackling these challenges by practicing at home and at school, making sure that I also keep referring back to previously practiced pieces not only to keep strengthening the skills I am in the process of acquiring, but also to ultimately improve on my intonation (which only comes from persistent practice and a positive mindset)