English – Exploring Languages

I have spent my life living in Singapore and Dubai, and both these places have had a huge impact on the way that I speak nowadays. Throughout my life, I have learnt to adjust to the situations and circumstances around me and adapt my language to that. I have slowly but surely realised how many times a day I change my idiolect just to fit in with others and to be included in their conversations. Some factors that have influenced me are; friends, family and social media. Over these past few years of my life, I have been making up and adding many slang words into my daily vocabulary without it being intentional. Although, I continue to speak to my family members without a lot of slang, with just basic english. We converse in english and in hindi. Although, my parents speak to me and my brother in hindi, my brother and I reply to them in english. This is because we have been going to an international school ever since we were little, and this has had a huge impact on the way we speak and the accents we pick up. We have also learnt that using slang words in front of them might be disrespectful or inappropriate. We pick up language, accents and slang words from the people that we surround ourselves with. The society around us shapes the way we talk and the way we think of certain situations. I feel that all of us don’t have only one type of idiolect but instead we have a few. English is a really abstract language and that is why there are so many different aspects to it. Also, the experiences that we have faced throughout our lives also affect each individual in their own way. Books that we have read, shows that we have watched and people that we have surrounded ourselves with also add to our idiolect and personality as an individual. Some slang words that are commonly used in our day to day society are; LOL ( laugh out loud ), sick ( cool ) and OMG ( oh my god ). When people use these words, they don’t really mean them intentionally. When someone says LOL, they are not really laughing out loud, although they might be laughing or giggling on the inside. Speaking slang has different meaning to different people. For example; to me, speaking slang is just an easier way of speaking, rather than forming full sentences, while others may argue that using slang is simply being lazy. To conclude, when being around different groups of people, our idiolect changes to adapt or to fit in with others and we are constantly adapting according to our situation / circumstance, without even realising it.