Coding For Good #3

This season, I didn’t spend as much time creating new projects. Rather, I tried to mentor grade 9 students who had joined the service and helped them with projects. Most of our new members had some experience in programming; However, some of them were completely new and wanted to learn. My first task was to find out what they were interested in recommending beginner projects that they could try. If they were completely new to programming, I would find out the languages that they are interested in learning and guide them to the relevant resources that can help them learn. To do this, I planned and compiled a list of resources that beginners could use in order to learn to program.

Some students had joined existing projects which had been started by students before them. I had to guide them through the transition and help them understand what the previous group had done and how they can improve upon it. One of the projects that was being transitioned was one that I had made at the start — the website. To do this, I sat down with the new students in order to explain the programming of the website. I also gave them suggestions that they could implement to improve the website such as posting new content and making design changes.

I also worked with students who had started new projects. I would sit down with them, learn their progress and make suggestions and help them when needed. One of these projects was the Design Technology Material Ordering Form, which would allow students to send a request to borrow materials. This project is extremely complex and I was able to help the students with some aspects such as emailing for google sheets and algorithms in google sheets.

These experiences helped me develop skills such as encouraging new members on their work,  identifying goals and instructing/developing Capabilities. I found that I wasn’t very good with teaching and instructing before but now I have been able to persevere and develop these skills.

Learning Outcomes Demonstrated:

• Learning outcome 1: Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth
  • Learning outcome 2: Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process
  • Learning outcome 3: Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience
  • Learning outcome 4: Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences

Palash Sharma

Latest posts by Palash Sharma (see all)