July 12

Interview with Irish Teacher – Muireann Nic an Rí

Muireann Nic an Rí is a teacher in an inter-denomination school in Ireland. She was kind enough to answer some of my questions regarding the teaching of sex education in Ireland. Given the geographical and schedule restraints, the interview was conducted via emails. Here is a transcript of the questions I asked and her responses:

What are the current obligations for teaching Sex education?

The current obligations for me personally are to follow the RSE curriculum as laid out by the NCCA ( National Council of Curriculum and Assessment) guidelines, our school ethos and our school RSE and SPHE policies.  Relationships and Sexuality education which is located in the overall framework of Social, Personal and Health Education, has as its specific aims:

(a) To help pupils understand and develop friendships and relationships

(b) To promote an understanding of sexuality

(c) To promote a positive attitude to one’s own sexuality and in one’s relationship with others

(d) To promote knowledge of and respect for reproduction

(e) To enable pupils to develop attitudes and values toward their sexuality in a moral, spiritual and social framework in keeping with the policy of the school

(f) To provide opportunities for pupils to learn about relationships and sexuality in ways which help them think and act in a moral, caring and responsible way.

How will a bill like [the bill for Objective sexual education] change that?

I don’t think this bill will bring any major changes for me, as we already teach an inclusive curriculum.

Do you think there needs to be change?

In our school, personally no, I don’t feel we need any major changes. We still see parents as the primary educators of the students in our care. Our school’s function is to provide a general education about sexual matter and issues.

What influence does the Catholic church and/or government have over what is taught in Sex education?

As I teach in an interdenominational school, the church has no influence over the RSE programme. The programme is presented as part of the SPHE class.  RSE is currently undergoing a review by the National Council of Curriculum and Assessment. Specifically, the NCCA’s review will encompass the following aspects of RSE:

● Consent, what it means and its importance

● Developments in contraception

● Healthy, positive sexual expression and relationships

● Safe use of the internet

● Social media and its effects on relationships and self-esteem

● LGBTQ+ matters.

How has the influence of the Catholic church changed in your time as a teacher?

This does not affect me as a teacher as I teach in an interdenominational school. I would say however that the church seems to have less influence in general on society. I feel their influence has declined largely due to the child abuse allegations.

Does there need to be a nationally agreed curriculum or is important to have a diversity to address the values of different groups? I would personally prefer to see a nationally agreed curriculum so that all students access the same information but I can understand if a parent has enrolled their child in a school under the Catholic ethos, that they might expect the programme to reflect the values of that faith. Parents of our students have the right to withdraw their children from the programme, this is stated in our policy. In my personal experience, this has not happened.

Engagement Reflection:

1. What do you feel that you have learned and gained from the engagement?

This engagement was really important for me to get an insight into a teacher’s perspective. Lots of Muireann’s responses confirmed issues I had uncovered in my research, for example, the decline of the catholic churches influence after the abuse scandals. Other responses helped clarify exactly the requirements of the curriculum and what adaptations may be made. However, some responses surprised me in highlighting the parents’ responsibility to educate their children and their right to remove their child from programmes that don’t reflect their views.

2. How does it inform the political issue?

This interview has really helped me get a better understanding of my political issue. My issue is a comparative study of the sexual education legislation in Ireland and the UK. This engagement has been relevant by providing more concrete detail on sexual education teaching as well as offering a perspective on the political issue from someone very much affected by it. This political issue provokes many questions and I’m very grateful that Muireann was kind enough to answer some of mine in such detail.

3. What are the most important points to take away from this engagement?

I think that Muireann’s responses really helped me highlight some of the similarities between perspectives in Britain and Ireland as well as help me pinpoint where they diverge. It also has been valuable to hear a teacher’s opinion on the role of the government and parents in this issue.

4. What key concepts and theories do this political issue relate to in the global politics course?

I think this political issue can be linked to multiple key concepts. Firstly, I think it is connected to equality as it is attempting to provide equal opportunities for students to access factual and unbiased education regardless of their upbringing and religion. I think it also relates to equality for the LGBT community, as many people believe that an inclusive curriculum that promotes acceptance for all sexualities and non-binary relationships will help challenge homophobia and help students accept their own sexuality.

However, this may also provide challenges in terms of an individual’s liberty. Which refers to an individuals right to live without excessive interference from those in power, and with the freedom to flourish and make the most of opportunities. Whilst LGBT+ individuals deserve to live a life free from harassment and discrimination, individuals also reserve the right to freedom of thought conscience and religion. Whilst we might hope for LGBT acceptance to be a universal value, there is a conflict between the right for individuals to have their sexuality respected and the right for individuals to have their religious view respected.

Overall, I think this is a human rights issue and a particularly interesting one I am excited to explore as it seems to express a conflict of views from a more liberal perspective and a more conservative perspective.

If Immanuel Kant believed that politics should be shaped by the central importance of morality, what happens if we cannot decide who’s morals or values to use?

Posted July 12, 2019 by sharr84788@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg in category Uncategorized