UWC Day Global Politics Challenge

These post-it notes are a mixed compilation of images from both the UWC mission and the Global Politics course. One can notice many similarities between the two: both display a motion of interconnectedness and a demonstration of the idea that all actions have an impact on your community and peers. Both UWC and the Global Politics course encourage us to develop our own views after evaluating any evidence present, to eventually allow us to have a diverse, yet accepting mindset.

In the spirit of UWC Day, we did an activity called the “Concentric Circles”, where I discussed 4 questions with 4 different students. I’m glad to have done this activity in this class especially, since we have nearly 9 nationalities in a class of only 11.  The questions we discussed were as followed:

• What assumptions does our mission make about you?
  • How does your course push you to agree with those assumptions?
  • Where might your course argue with the mission? 
  • Which one part of the mission does the course best aspire to?

I was glad to see the effect of the UWC movement on all of the different people I spoke to, as my perspective was predominantly similar to them, and therefore wasn’t effected as much.

Here is a discussion a group regarding how Global Politics and the UWC mission can affect our future itself.

5 thoughts on “UWC Day Global Politics Challenge

• September 26, 2017 at 2:36 am
    Permalink

What makes the 4 questions that you discussed complex it how different students will have a different perspective and it could be because of where each person is from and it can make you see a new perspective. It also helps you think deeper about the UWC mission.

Reply
  • September 26, 2017 at 2:45 am
    Permalink

I can see that you were inquiring the differences of the thoughts of students on the UWC mission over their different nationalities and how you used questions that promoted thinking and were provoking your peers to really use their thoughts.

I could relate your post-it notes to one of the other sites where they summed up the uwc Movement and mission into four drawings. And how it was a great way, to sum up, the mission and it was really helpful for the reader.

One question I have is what were the thoughts of an adult like the teacher on his or her thoughts on the mission.

Reply
  • September 29, 2017 at 3:18 pm
    Permalink

After reading this, I have come to the conclusion that the UWC mission is something we can learn from and we should carry with us in the future. I realise the importance of interconnectedness and open-mindedness, as they are key skills that could greatly help when in the ‘outside world’ as well as forming an accepting mindset. A question to unpack would be; to what extent can we use the mission to influence our own individual values and morals?

Reply
  • October 1, 2017 at 9:00 am
    Permalink

– What makes this issue particularly/the questions that you asked so complex is that different people have very different views on each of the questions, making a conclusion or similarities between the answers hard to come by.
    – After reading this, I come to the conclusion that the places we are brought up in and the things we are taught have a big difference on the way we act in the future. in our case (Students of UWC) we are affected by what UWC aims to be like and the mission statement of UWC.
    – After reading your post, these are other questions I’d like to unpack. Maybe it would be good to ask the teachers or adults involved with UWC and see how they think they would have changed if they had been taught at UWC as a child.
    – Quote ‘eventually allow us to have a diverse, yet accepting mindset.’ from your post resonated with me because it really shows how both UWC and your global politics course helps you and other students to understand and accept different parts of other people and your own lives.

Reply
  • October 1, 2017 at 12:22 pm
    Permalink

After reading your post I could see that you had really thought this over. I like how you made the connection between the schools mission and the course you’re taking. I think when you said that discussing the four questions was an interesting activity as majority of your class was different nationalities, I think that was fascinating because as your class is quite small, it must also be intense. It think when you said that your group all had similar views on the mission and that your view wasn’t changed that much it was interesting because (1) did your opinion change a tiny bit? and (2) if any of the people in your group were new, do you think they had these beliefs from being in their previous school, from their families or has the mission already had an effect on them?

Reply