Do Rules for Social Media Change as You Age?

After watching the video called “Teens explain the rules of social media”, I noticed that many people were focused on the photos and feed that they would want to see, and how they knew the sorts of things that they shouldn’t post, either because of experience or that someone has told them. I resonated with these “rules”, as I could understand that these were important and that some things you shouldn’t do. However, the other article, “When is a child Instagram ready?” made me realise that many people are not taught these rules, and that it is important to show those who do not have that much experience need to have different sets of rules to those who are older or who know a lot more about what should be posted.

Overall I think rules definitely change as you age, because as you get older you understand more about the consequence of your actions.

smith18714@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg

Latest posts by smith18714@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg (see all)

5 thoughts on “Do Rules for Social Media Change as You Age?

• June 13, 2018 at 3:12 am
    Permalink

I definetly agree with what you said and the way you constructed the answer to your question was well phrased and it was all in good time. I think that what you said about people being focused is also true.

Reply
    • June 13, 2018 at 3:16 am
      Permalink

Thanks.

Reply
  • June 13, 2018 at 3:14 am
    Permalink

I agree with your thinking and I think that you made really good points with the information that you were able to find. Good job :))

Reply
    • June 13, 2018 at 3:16 am
      Permalink

Thank you 🙂

Reply
  • June 13, 2018 at 4:29 am
    Permalink

Hi Isabel,

Your point about the rules not being taught has me wondering. I wonder if it would be beneficial for older High School students to mentor younger students in this area–or would students not be interested in that opportunity?
    I wonder if teens across cultures have different ways of thinking about social media–and I wonder what influences the creation of ‘rules’ mostly?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Ms. Friedman

Reply