Dance Showcase Reflection: LO2 and LO5

Participating in the dance showcase was a great experience for me because I learnt perseverance and teamwork, and made new friends along the way. It was quite a challenge for me, and I gained a lot of new skills. The theme of the showcase was films, and I was a member of the Black Panther dance where we did a mixture of hip hop, African styles, and street jazz. When I first went for the audition, I was quite nervous because the audition dance was very different to what I was used to, and many people were there for the audition. However, I decided to go for it anyway, and I got in. Learning the dance was a very fun experience because there were so many different styles incorporated into the dance, so it was never boring. I became much more confident by the end of it and learnt a lot.

I could really see my progression from the beginning to the end, because in the final performance I felt happy about how I had improved and felt a big difference from when I first started.

AB6AEB88-4E5D-4977-A0EB-B78DAD7C3EFD

I had to work past my lack of confidence dancing new styles by continuing to practice and watching the videos of the dance and seeing where I could improve. Since there was not a lot time to learn everything, we had to practice at home and watch tutorials to compensate for not enough time. This also really helped me improve and remember the steps fully. It was also as a result of collaboration that I worked through the challenges. When anyone couldn’t remember the choreography, we would support each other and teach each other the different parts of the dance. Teamwork was really important in the dance, and since we had so many members, we had to work together to make sure it would run smoothly.

Overall this experience helped me go out of my comfort zone and try new things, and become a better dancer. In the future I am going to try more styles of dance, because I have found that when I expand my styles of dance I find more enjoyment when I go back to what I usually dance.