For the past few sessions, we have been switching up the activities we have been carrying out at service with the aim to reach a larger group of the elderly. The spider gym only enables us to reach a target few who are of the appropriate fitness level. So far we have tried origami which has proved to be a success as there as enough of us to help out and they seem to be genuinely enjoying it. In one the sessions the elderly man I was paired with took the freedom to create his own creations and proudly showed them to me, the activity clearly made him very happy something we hope for.

Another activity where we found success is one we carried out fairly recently, it allowed us to interact with the most number of people at the centre. It was a bowling activity that we carried out on their tables. One lady seemed to be particularly good at it and helped us overcome the language barrier by explaining it to her friend. Additionally, Dhruva and I paired up with two girls from our service and passed the ball around the table. We assumed it would be a relaxing activity, very quickly we were proven wrong. The ladies at the table took pleasure in the fast nature of the game and soon we were passing the ball to each other across the table at alarmingly fast rates. It captured all of our attention and we had a lot of fun playing that game.

I’m looking forward to other exciting activities we will be trying out in the months to come!