Maths and Me: Student Homework

Maths and Me: Student Homework

1 Your name and previous mathematics experience (IGCSE, MYP, FIB, any other course): Hi, I’m Megna. When it comes to my previous maths experience, I took GCSE Additional Math for 9th Grade (1yr of the GCSE course), and upon moving to UWC, I did FIB Maths for 10th Grade.

2 What might be some of the feelings that you associate with mathematics? How do you feel about starting this course and why?I associate maths with the idea of rigour because I feel a lot of practice helps you understand maths better. Additionally, associate maths with being very logical and also interconnectedness when different concepts build up/come together. I am motivates and excited but also quite nervous about the challenging nature of this course.

3 How do you like to learn mathematics? Where would you put yourself on this continuum and why: I like to be shown the basis of a concept/ question type of a topic and then individually working of that basic guidance towards the final answer. I like to work with a mix of independent and collaborative work.

4 What do you do when you are “stuck” in mathematics? In your past experiences, how have you successfully overcome such misunderstandings?I spend a lot of time on the question and try to go over it in different ways. If that doesn’t work, I look at the answer and work backwards to see how it was achieved. In my past experiences, I have usually called up a friend to help me solve the sum/show me what I’m doing wrong.

5 Which one of the following skills is your biggest strength in learning mathematics?Which one might be the biggest area of focus for your mathematics in the first few weeks of Grade 11?I feel like being Organised or Diligent may be my biggest skill right now as I do usually take the time and effort to do my work on time. However, one area of focus should really pay attention to in the first few weeks is thinking creatively and curiously about maths as this would help me deepen my conceptual understanding which is sometimes shallow.

One thought on “Maths and Me: Student Homework

1. Thank you for sharing Megna! I hope you ‘enjoy’ maths also. I do agree you have started organised and diligently and am sure with sufficient curiosity and time you will develop good understandings 🙂