“Wicked Water Problems” at NUS, LKY school of Policy

The presentation was made by Sharon B. Megdal, Director of The University of Arizona Water Resources Research Center (WRRC), a Cooperative Extension center and a research unit in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Many regions across the globe face what are called wicked water problems, which are complex challenges that are too big for readily identifiable and/or “standard” solutions. The reasons for this are many and can relate to underlying societal or political issues and differing viewpoints as to the causes and/or potential pathways to mitigating the challenges.

It is often stated that the obstacles to addressing wicked water problems may be related to public acceptance rather than technological or economic factors. Identifying and implementing pathways to solving big water challenges often require interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches; involvement of stakeholders is extremely important.  Both water-scarce and water-rich regions face long-term water problems. With a focus on water-scarce areas, this lecture discussed some wicked water challenges and how different regions, including some that are trans-border, are approaching them. 

This talk was able to provide me with the adequate background information on the water problems that plague the world in order to start the research process into the areas I would like to expand on in my EA.