How do you experience poems? Do you turn to them for inspiration or joy? For solidarity in moments of sadness?

Poetry to me is not objective in its nature. During the early years of our childhood, we are first introduced to poetry in the form of lullabies. When growing up, we experience poetry through the lyrics of our preferred musical artists. Modern renditions of poetry, however, are sometimes seen to blind the reader from the lyrical essence of the poem with musical elements – arguing that classical poetry is more eloquent. In my opinion classical poetry, even today, has an insurmountable effect over its reader  – one that musical poetry cannot compete with. The first poem introduced to me was “The Charge of The Light Brigade” by Alfred Lord Tennyson, upon reading it I was overwhelmed by the depth of expression in the war poem and was amazed by the numerous literary elements. Little did I know, that I had missed out on the minute details in the poem such as the subtle references to specific historic events or the hidden meaning behind otherwise regular words. This poem was not life-changing, but it opened the door to poetry for me –  which was hugely impactful.

Poetry allows me to introspect through the thoughtful reflections of the poet and this helps me to accept my emotions. One example of a poem I naturally think about when I’m in a deep introspective trance is “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” by William Wordsworth. No line in this poem is better than the next and it will never fail to comfort me in times of need.