Fashion Photography – Gordon Parks

This is a photograph taken by Gordon Parks in 1956. Gordon Parks has taken many fashion photographs and this is one of them taken in New York.

(Evening Wraps, New York, 1956)

This is a very romantic image, a couple cuddling on an empty street in New York. The slight fog and light blue sky create a very comfortable and romantic atmosphere and environment. The position of the couple in the image and the vast, empty background with buildings and roads grabs the attention of the audience.

I’d love to know the whole story – where they were the night before and whether they wound up together afterwards.

There are some questions that are worthy to discuss:

1. Do you feel Parks’ race is a factor in his fashion photography?

I agree that Parks’ race is a factor in his fashion photography. By looking at the fashion photographs Parks has taken, we can merely see any black models. The majority of the models are white. In the 20th century, society is generally more accepting of white people than black. Thus, being an African-American himself, I believe Parks’ race is a factor in fashion photography as his photographs might be treated differently by the audience who were mostly white.

2. Is Stockett’s race a factor in her writing?

After reading some articles regarding the public’s criticism of Stockett’s “The Help”. I believe that Stockett’s race does have a factor in her writing. Although she might not be biased towards anyone, nor any race. Her identity as a white woman makes the readers harder to believe that she can understand black lives.