Gpers reflection on climate refugee, and New Zealand’s action on it

In this reflection, I will be reflecting on this statement: “In light of previous values New Zealand is presenting a proactive approach to climate change refugees.”

I believe that New Zealand is presenting a proactive approach to climate change refugees.

A man from Kiribati tried to claim asylum in New Zealand as a climate refugee since the island with a population of 100,000 people where he lives in is being swallowed by the ocean due to global warming and it is becoming dangerous even to live there. That is why he is trying to claim asylum.

I think that not only New Zealand but countries all over the world should be considering in taking in climate refugees, since they have to flee because of climate change, majorly because of sea level rising, immersing thousands of islands.

New Zealand is planning to create a new visa category for climate refugees, suggested by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. I think that their perspective is based on the government’s ideology and citizen’s thoughts, firstly, citizens have to agree to accept this new visa class, otherwise there will be conflicts regarding this, secondly, the government has to be open to start accepting climate refugees from nearby islands.

However, there are always challenges to this approach. The challenges are that if they take in refugees, countries might not have enough jobs for the refugees or not enough resources for the refugees. Also, another problem might be that the citizens of their own country might not be wanting to accept climate refugees as the citizens might think it will disrupt their own lives.

That is why I think New Zealand is presenting a proactive approach to climate change refugees.