How Can We Help One Another During the Coronavirus Outbreak? – The New York Times

How Can We Help One Another During the Coronavirus Outbreak? – By Jeremy Engle, The New York Times

Now, COVID-19 is spreading all around the world at an unexpected rate. Agreeing to what’s said by the author, I too feel like that we need more solidarity within our communities, not just social distancing.

Nicholas Kulish writes about how outpourings of generosity on social media during the coronavirus pandemic are part of a shift toward direct giving. I feel touched by this, as people during this time can truly motivate and encourage people by doing these direct, online fundraisers which go straight to those people in need. At this very difficult time for everyone.

Ria Misra, in the article, provides a few practical ways that we as individuals can contribute in this situation: Donate to your local food bank, Offer assistance to at-risk neighbors, Plan to stay in touch from afar.

This question then came up to me afterward, “How can we help one another during the coronavirus outbreak? What can you, your friends, family, and community do to look out for one another?”

Personally, I feel that as teenagers, we can use the power of social media as well as other online platforms such as Google Hangouts, Skype to unite each one of us although we might be very far apart geologically.

By using these technologies and tools that are accessible to almost everyone, families, communities, and friends can still unite despite being unable to see each other face by face. This allows solidarity within groups, as well as an enhanced sense of security within people, and not just social distancing.

Therefore, I agree with the news article very much. During this time of the pandemic, we cannot forget to have unity within communities, however, we must not forget our own health at the same time.

Source: Google Images