Transition into Grade 11

Grade 11 is just around the corner, and with only 2 weeks left of grade 10, there are many things that we have done to make our transition into grade 11 smoother.

The HL subjects that I have chosen for IB are: Math Analysis, Physics, and Chemistry. The SL subjects that I have chosen for IB are: English Lang Lit, Chinese B, and Economics. The reason why I chose these subjects is because I am not so sure about what I really want to do in the future, it could be engineering, finance, or even medicinal research, hence I chose subjects that allowed me to have multiple options for future careers. I do feel like English and Chinese will be challenging because I am not that good at either of those subjects, but with determination and hard work, I will be able to do it!

Currently, I am pretty satisfied with my subject choices because I enjoy all the subjects that I chose and I am really interested in them. Initially, I chose HL DT instead of HL Chemistry, but  I changed to HL Chemistry because I realised that with HL Chemistry, I will have more career and university options available, and I also really like Chemistry!

Some goals that I have set for myself for IB are:

• Join a GC that you are interested in, and put effort into it, potentially take up a leadership role in the GC
  • Be attentive in classes and be sure to contribute a lot, ask questions if you have any
  • Maybe join a service that focuses on sustainability and other things that you are interested in
  • Get your black belt in karate
  • Do well in classes and finish your tasks on time, don’t leave them for the last minute

During remote learning, I learnt that I get distracted very easily, and it is pretty hard for me to get motivated to do things. Due to this, I have done all my remote learning assignments the day it was due, and I completely rushed most of my assignments. This is a habit that I want to break before IB because I know that it is a really bad habit.

Next year I also want to try new activities, and I also want to try and take part in more leadership roles in my service and activities. Next year I also want to put more efforts into my studies, and make sure that I understand everything that is being taught in class.

Grade 11 will definitely be much more rushed than grade 10, and in order to cope with that, I think it would be good if I looked through the IB textbooks and material ahead of time. Compared to grade 10, the work we do in grade 11 will matter much more, so I have to make sure that I put in my full effort.