What is Identity?

Personally, for me, my identity depicts my morals, values, beliefs, and internal traits. My personality is the way that I portray these traits externally, to other people, whether it’s through my actions or verbal communication. To me, the diagram above represents the idea of our identity being viewed on the surface by the places you’re from, how old you are, and the sex you identify as. But below the surface, there is so much more to a person that is reflected in their personality by their various perspectives on different topics, and the way they present themselves through their ethical beliefs or the way they sexually identify themselves.

Ultimately, I feel that one’s personality is suggested through their behaviour and the way they explicitly portray their character. A person’s identity is displayed through their personality traits. Personally, I feel that I am a confident introvert in certain situations. In my instance, this means that I am confident in myself and my thoughts but I don’t always loudly vocalise them. On the other hand, when I am with my friends or people I feel close to, I may be loud and carefree, which is not what everyone else may see of me. My personality can change and be varied based on the circumstances, whereas, my identity remains the same and defines more of who I am.