IB Choices :: Quality of Knowledge

Of my 6 subjects, they all teach very different knowledge but if I had to rank I would say…

1) Physics HL

2) Economics HL

3) Psychology SL

4) Mathematics HL

5) LangLit SL

6) Ab Spanish

To start it’s not to say I don’t believe Spanish isn’t a great source of knowledge and actually thinking about it, language is some of the most important knowledge we can possess to thrive in today’s society. But I do believe that Physics has strong and pure knowledge because of the rigorous methods that scientific theories can be tested against. Physics is special because it is independent of human emotion so we can always conclude unbiased information which in my opinion is a very pure type of knowledge. Next, we have economics which contradicts my reasoning for physics in the fact that economists try to predict human behaviours and so to understand economics you must have a very pure source of who people are and what people want. This is important not because it’s an absolute truth, like physics, but because it accurately describes the thoughts and consciousness of the aggregated population. Psychology follows the same logic as economics as it helps describe the general populous thoughts which is extremely useful to know when trying to live your life. An extreme example of this is that you can’t be an open neo-nazi in today’s societies and that is self-evident in the ways people think nowadays being that most people have an open mindset but quite progressive in thinking. Mathematics was a subject I put near the bottom but I have a hard time justifying it in my head. It is the ultimate source of truth as 2*2 will never be 5 nor any other number except 4. In that sense, math has absolute answers which no other subject can share, even physics for what its worth, still has uncertainty in its knowledge. I think I put it farther down was because I believe that whilst it is the purest source of information in my head, it’s effectiveness in the real world is somewhat limited. It teaches you how to think not what to think. It shows you how to solve these problems but you can’t be expected to thrive better in society if you can fully derive equations of motion. The last two were put not because they are not pure but because they are the ‘leftovers’ who have been marginalised by the bigger subjects.