PSE — Mental Health Reflection

This week has been a mundane week full of little ups and downs, although I’m not worried. Many of the big wins we remember for the rest of our lives have been built on weeks where there were work and stress and sadness. I believe that the only way you truly experience the sunshine is when it comes after a lot of rain. You do need sadness because without that there would be no benchmark for happiness to break and that is not a life I would want to live – devoid of any and all emotions. This week was a bit stressing and confusing – I had a few tests that I wasn’t completely pleased with and a few letdowns in general but as I said before, you need sadness. That’s why I’m sceptical to always hear about the school pushing this happy agenda – I’m not saying you shouldn’t be happy, far from that, but rather that you shouldn’t feel bad or ostracised if you are sad. The school sometimes acts under the predisposition that sadness is bad but I really do think otherwise. One thing I was proud of this week that I can take credit for was that my friends and I helped another really close friend of mine, he was going down a path which we don’t think would be suitable for him or anyone for that matter and persuaded him against what he was about to do. He was considering doing a dangerous activity just to act cool but I am very glad and proud that we stopped him, even though he doesn’t like being told what to do (who does), I think that us telling him what he was doing was wrong was a good and worthwhile decision.

All in all a week with ups and downs but some good progress made internally.